I remember when there were only 2-3 natural hair events per year— the World Natural Hair Show, Sisterlocks Explosion, and maybe you can count the Bronner Bros Show. Now, there are plenty of events surrounding natural hair— Natural Hair Expo, Afropunk, Loc Appreciation Day, International Natural Hair Meetup Day, and even a Natural Hair Industry Convention; but have you ever joined in the festivities? If not, let me be the first to tell you from experience that attending Natural Hair shows is where YOU. NEED. TO. BE!
5 Reasons to Attend Natural Hair Shows
- Education. Knowledge is key when it comes to healthy hair care and although we’d all like to earn a degree from Youtube University, receiving hands-on training and knowledge from a Professional should be everyone’s goal. Natural hair shows allow you to learn about various products directly from the brands and take hands-on classes so that styling is not always a “hope this looks right” moment after wash day.
- Discover Salon Professionals. Finding a trustworthy Natural Hair Stylist is one of the hardest things to do, but Natural Hair Shows eliminate the majority of the dirty work. Passionate Natural Hair Stylists typically setup Pop up salons or give one-on-one styling tips and consultations at Natural Hair Shows allowing you to get a preview of the talent in your area.
- Meet Your Favorite Bloggers. We’ve all learned something from a blog or Youtube channel and one of the great things about Natural Hair Shows is that they feature notable bloggers. This makes it a one-stop shop for all of your favorite bloggers & vloggers and an opportunity to discover new brands to
stalkfollow— It’s always great to add a name & face to a social media handle.
- Inspiration. It is very rare that you can go to one place to get ideas for your next hair color, protective style, undercut, and 5-year hair goals all at once. Natural hair shows spotlight trendsetting styles on all different and lengths textures; so its essentially like a large gallery of hair porn.
- Save money. Aren’t we always waiting for a discount code for our favorite products or free shipping on that new brand we just discovered? Yes, right?! Well, look no farther, most of the brands at Natural Hair Shows will give great product discounts for the attendees of the show and obviously there is no shipping because it’s in your hand. Not to mention, if you buy your ticket early you usually get a swag bag filled with products and coupons!
I know you’re probably anxious and excited to attend the next natural hair event in your area, and if you’re in the DC / Maryland / Virginia area then you’re in luck because this Sunday, September 27, 2015 is the 3rd Annual Naturalista Hair Show. I’ve attended each Naturalista Hair Show since its inception in 2013 and each one has been great; this year will be EPIC!
If you’re not in the DMV area, don’t fret, I’m sure there is an event coming your way soon!
Leave a comment with your City and the last natural hair event you attended!
September 21, 2015 at 8:55 am
I’m in the DFW area here in Texas. The last natural hair event I attended was the Nappiology Expo in Euless,Texas back in 2011 or 12. Can’t remember what year. It was wonderful. I wish they had more loc meet ups here. Haven’t come across any yet.
September 23, 2015 at 1:42 am
I definitely agree that there need to be more meetups for loc rockers!
February 5, 2016 at 6:11 pm
I’m in New Orleans and I’ve been a licensed cosmetologist for 14 yrs and this is the 1st I’ve heard of any natural hair shows. I would live to go to one and I don’t mind traveling. Can you post any up coming events or at least the links to the sites so I can check them out. Thanks
August 27, 2018 at 1:40 pm
I wish they could come to Canada- Vancouver as well.