I am frequently asked, “How do I chose between Sisterlocks and Traditional Locs?” or “What are the differences between Sisterlocks and Traditional Locs?”, so I created a video to outline, in my opinion, the advantages & disadvantages of both types of locs. Keep in mind, when I say “disadvantage” I am using the term loosely and as a generality for some mindsets, not all.
Here is an outline of the areas that I discuss in the video:
Advantages of Sisterlocks
1. Sisterlocks are a lifestyle, not a hairstyle.
2. Sisterlocks allow you to have maximum styling versatility, if established correctly.
3. The look of Sisterlocks is very neat and they barely look like “locs”.
4. They are a medium maintenance hairstyle.
5. You don’t have to buy a lot products; only require the Sisterlocks™ shampoo.
6. Sisterlocks are “designer locs” and customized for your hair texture and pattern.
“Disadvantages” of Sisterlocks
1. You have to follow a very structured lifestyle and regimen.
2. Some women experience excessive loc breakage.
3. You cannot use any moisturizing products in your hair (while the Sisterlocks are settling).
Advantages of Traditional Locs
1. They are a very low maintenance style.
2. You have an array of sizes to choose from.
3. Traditional Locs are not lifestyle dependent.
4. You can use products to fit your needs.
“Disadvantages” of Traditional Locs
1. Your styling options may be limited by the parts and/or size of locs.
2. It is easy to become a product junkie.
3. There is no established “standard” for repair, maintenance, or hair care.
Overall, when is comes to deciding between them, Sisterlocks or Traditional Locs, examine your lifestyle and hair care practices. You can also check out the video [HERE] for more in-depth detail of the advantages and disadvantages.
Jocelyn Reneé is a Licensed Cosmetologist, Loctician and Textured Hair Educator. She was born and raised in the Washington DC area and is a graduate of the Aveda Institute Cosmetology Science program. With over 14 years in the Hair Care Industry, from Salon Assistant to Natural Hair Blogger to Professional; Jocelyn is passionate about cultivating healthy hair.